Friday, May 18, 2007

Bean Dip

As a young teenager before I was old enough to work at Taco Bell, I worked in the corn fields surrounding the rural towns sprinkled throughout Boone County, north of Indianapolis, Indiana. Describing the work we did will take longer than I have, so for now I'll forgo the description of what it is I did. What I'm trying to say is that during these formidable years of my life, one of my many weird monikers developed: Bean Dip.

To be completely honest, it wasn't as much a nickname as it was a declaration of awesome. "That movie was Bean Dip." "You got a date with her? BEAN DIP!" "I love your car; totally bean dip." "Mr. Wendel's blog - Bean. Dip."

Bean Dip has been used very gently the past few years. Maybe it is because a very small part of me still feels 13 saying it out loud, and who liked being 13? Maybe because, at the heart of it all, it is a reference to a small bowl on a hours d'ouvres table full of beans, cheese, salsa and sour cream. Now, putting it that way makes me want to revitalize it; I love bean dip.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bean Dip is on its way back to the mainstream, regardless of how I feel about the expression personally. Like a train or the weather, you just can't stop certain things from happening. I am formally declaring my presence distinctively before mainstream. I am the grassroots movement; with this, it has started. Bean dip is coming; "Here [it is], [gonna] Rock you like a Hurricane." (Scorpions)

That's all I have to say about that.